Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hey

Glad to be part of the coup, everybody. From what I understand, my job here is to go all historically nerdy with Braves stuff, which I hope to do with aplomb. I'm all right with stats (I managed to sneak some statistical analyses through to Baseball Prospectus - smoke and mirrors, all), but I have more fun with the history of the game, so the PECOTA you'll hear about is less the BP projection system as it is Bill the utility player of glory. My best friend being an obsessive Braves fan should also help out. (You know you've got a good friend when you can give them an autographed Rafael Belliard card for birthday and they like it...)

In the next few weeks, I'll be doing a series for THT on early flameouts in the big leagues, those who played a lot of games before they turned 26 and then less than that afterward. There are a few Braves on the list, like Bob Horner and Max West, so I'm likely to write about them soon. If there's any Brave of yore (or even better, from the short-lived Boston Bees) you want me to write about, just send me an e-mail and more likely than not you'll get a blog entry on him.

And just to start off the Holy Fountain of Puns that shall flow forth freely from these frenzied fingers:

I'll take the Wally Berger with extra cheese and a salad with Brutons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isleib - how bout a post on Gene Garber, or Glenn Hubbard?

Chris said...

Hey, could you possibly give some time to Rafael Ramirez, Claudell Washington, and Mr. "Got Lost on the Way to the Stadium" himself...Pascual Perez.

Loved those early - mid 80s Braves teams.