Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Keith Evans commits to the Jags


So, this isn't exactly recruiting talk time, but the first recruit/verbal commitment in South Alabama football history deserves a blog mention.

Keith Evans, a Spanish Fort High cornerback, has said that he plans to sign with the Jaguars next February. The 5'11" 175 lbs. junior defensive back said, "South Alabama was very interesting to me because I know it's a good school and I'll get a great education, it's close to home and I've always been a Jag fan in basketball," Evans said in the telephone interview Saturday. "I was always disappointed that the school didn't have a football team. When they announced they were starting football, I was excited."

I imagine we'll be hearing that type of sentiment a lot in the coming months and in the weeks leading up to signing day next February.

I heard from a South Alabama official that shortly after Coach Jones was announced in mid-February, a recruiting questionnaire went up on usajaguars.com . Within two weeks, the athletic department had 85 responses. Imagine what that number is up to by now. Coach Jones's local ties and the Jags great group of coaches will help to keep a lot of local talent from the "I-10 Corridor" right here.

No comments: